Professor / Assistant Professor / Associate Professor in Earth Sciences job with KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
(Open rank faculty) – (Earth Sciences)
Open Faculty – Earth Sciences
In 2017, the President of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, issued an executive order to merge the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research, the ‘Masdar Institute of Science and Technology and the Petroleum Institute into one university. called the Khalifa University of Science and Technology (Khalifa University).
Khalifa University is now a comprehensive research-intensive university with three colleges, three research institutes, 20 research centers and 36 departments covering a wide range of disciplines in science, engineering and medicine. The top ranked university internationally is the only university in the United Arab Emirates with research and academic programs that address the full range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing the transformation of the UAE’s knowledge economy. Arab Emirates and our rapidly changing world.
Khalifa University’s world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unprecedented learning experience for students in the UAE and around the world. The university brings together the best of science, engineering and medicine in the United Arab Emirates, to offer specialist degrees that can lead promising high school graduates to leading PhDs.
It will continue to evolve with the UAE’s rapidly evolving national goals and needs and nurture the innovation ecosystem required for the targeted transformation of the country’s knowledge economy.
College of Arts and Sciences
The College stands out as a major contributor to economic diversification in Abu Dhabi and the region, particularly through its close alignment with growing regional sectors in key industries such as energy, aerospace, financial services , health care, transport and telecommunications.
The College of Arts and Sciences is a vibrant community of academics, students and staff dedicated to science education and innovation for the greater good of society. To serve this purpose, the College equips students with a great sense of academic curiosity and an appreciation of the social and environmental context in a rapidly changing world.
The Department of Earth Sciences is an academic unit within the College of Arts and Sciences of Khalifa University. The department is an internationally recognized center of excellence in teaching and research in petroleum geology and geophysics, and other geoscience disciplines. The department offers a BSc in Petroleum Geosciences, a BSc in Earth and Planetary Sciences, and an MSc in Earth Sciences in Petroleum Geosciences and a PhD in Earth Sciences. For more information on the department, see the link below.
The department invites applications for professorships in the following discipline:
Geomorphology and Remote Sensing (Reference code: ES_GMORPH_21)
Job Field Description: The successful candidate will join the Department of Earth Sciences, which includes research in geophysics, paleontology, petrology, planetary geology, sedimentology, and structural geology. Research in geomorphology and remote sensing will focus on landscape dynamics with an emphasis on the United Arab Emirates. We particularly encourage applicants with a solid background in remote sensing and geomorphology with expertise in data collection and field observations, documented skills in remote sensing and GIS techniques. Expertise in planetary remote sensing is an asset.
- The post is open to the grades of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Full Professor.
- Assistant Professor – Minimum of 3 years of experience relevant to the position and proven research potential.
- Associate Professor – At least 8 years of teaching or postdoctoral research experience, of which at least 5 years should be at the assistant professor level.
- Professor – At least 10 years of teaching and postdoctoral research experience, of which at least 5 years should be at Associate Professor level and have demonstrated high standards in teaching, consulting and research.
Diploma and experience:
- • PhD in geomorphology / remote sensing or related discipline or have the corresponding research competence, or other related professional expertise. Expertise in planetary applications is an asset.
- • Research expertise and teaching expertise. An international reputation demonstrated by a large portfolio of publications in the relevant field is required. At least 2 years of teaching experience in an academic environment, including supervision of graduate and doctoral students. It is necessary that the teaching skills, research expertise and professional skills are relevant to the content of the job and to the tasks that will be included in the job.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have studied and / or previously worked at leading higher education institutions.
- Teaching, research and administration. Research tasks include engaging in research activities in the field of geomorphology and remote sensing in general with applications in the UAE in particular, dissemination of research in international journals and collaboration between disciplines.
- Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of graduate students. Applicants should have documented teaching experience and should be able to teach courses in geomorphology and related subjects such as geoinformatics (GIS and remote sensing) in the postgraduate and undergraduate education programs of the new degree in Earth and Planetary Sciences of the department, as well as contributing to the development of undergraduate and postgraduate study programs. Administrative duties include participation in committees within the department and college.
- Follow developments in the field and the development of society in general which are important for work at the university.
- Active application for external research funding.
- Assessment criteria / Ranking of applicants who meet the above required qualifications
- Ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise. In addition to academic merits, the merits of research from other activities, including technological development, may also be considered, including merits of research obtained outside the academy, which for example include development technological, innovative capacity and experience in the industry. When evaluating research expertise, the quality of the research should be the primary consideration. The scope of the research, primarily in terms of depth and breadth, should also be considered. When evaluating research expertise, particular importance will be given to the merits of research in spatial analysis, empirical data assimilation and modeling of physical processes in landscape dynamics.
Applicants must submit a complete application package in a single pdf file including a curriculum vitae, a teaching and research statement, a cover letter, as well as the names and contact details of three references. The candidate must indicate the positions to which he is applying in his cover letter. Please include the referral code (s) listed above in the subject line of the email. Successful applicants must be available for the positions in early spring 2022. The deadline for submitting applications is December 25, 2021. Only short-listed applicants will be notified.
Main location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job type: Full time